Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Veronika's Chevron Scarf

Today I finally started my chevron scarf by choosing a yarn from Opal and a superfine alpaca yarn. The Opal yarn I used is from a special collection inspired by the artist Friedensreich Hundertwasser, and is made of a mixture from natural fibers. As the foundation color (second color) I decided on a dark purple superfine alpaca yarn. Together both yarns are warm and coexist in harmony with each other. What I mean, neither yarn trumps over the other. It floats perfectly into one great knit. I received the Opal yarn from a dear friend in Germany and had not yet found a suitable project for it. The purple alpaca yarn is one of the many yarns my husband brought back from his trip to Peru last summer. At first I wasn’t sure if both colors go together since the Hunderwasser colors are bright. It seemed that the yellow and greenish colors are almost like neon bright colors with a lighter and softer pink/purple/blue/red/orange in the mix. However, combining both colors gave the scarf, in my humble opinion, a warm and rich color formation.
I like the pattern because it is so easy to remember. I also decided not to use the “knit in front and back” method to make a new stitch. I’d rather pull the horizontal strain of yarn from the back to the front and knit it through the back. It seems the m1 looks better that way, but that’s my say. It’s not written in stone. You can call it MY habit
because it's my preferred method of an increase.

1 comment:

Hobbygåsa said...

I agree with your humble opinion - the colors are great. Maby I will try your way of M1 on my next scarf...